If you’ve been thinking about joining a martial arts gym and can’t decide on which type of martial art to start training then this might make options clearer for you. There are different types of martial arts and each one offers something different. People have their opinions but not every martial art is equally effective. This list will explain the different types of martial arts and how effective each one is.
- Boxing – Boxing is one of the most effective martial arts. They say most street fights end up on the ground but not if you have the ability to keep it standing up. Boxing will teach you how to throw fast powerfull punches while evadings your opponents strikes with blocks and head movement. One solid punch from a trained boxer and you might get knocked out cold. Since boxing only focuses on hands it’s possible to get good at boxing relatively quicker than some other martial arts. If you’re looking for a good workout, solid self defense, and a little bit of sparring(if you choose to spar), then boxing is an excellent choice.
- Kickboxing – Kickboxing uses only punches and kicks unlike muay thai. Muay thai is slightly different from kickboxing. I recommend it over kickboxing because of its diverse attack and effectiveness
- Muay thai – Muay thai is the art of eight limbs. Punches, knees, kicks, and elbows are used. A muay thai kick lands with the shin and is very dangerous. If thrown hard enough it can break someones leg. Muay thai also uses boxing technique so as a striking art muay thai is the most diverse which makes it a very effective form of martial arts.
- Wrestling – Wrestling is mostly about control and position. Wrestling is great for self defense but similar to jiu jitsu it is limited with multiple opponents. It consists of grappling and takedowns.
- Jiu jitsu – Jiu jitsu is grappling with submissions. It is traditional to wear the uniform which is called a gi but it is also practiced with no gi. It is simillar to wrestling but different in terms of positions, submissions, and control. Jiu jitsu is great but not being trained as a striker can make a altercation difficult with multiple opponents. Havig a little boxing training mixed with jiu jitsu is always a good idea. Jiu jitsu and wrestling can both be effective forms of defense but jiu jitsu has the slight edge because of the submissions which is effective in the street.
- MMA – Mixed martial arts is a mix of different martial arts as the name implies. MMA gyms will have boxing, muay thai, wrestling, and jiu jitsu coaches. MMA is perfect for self defense. You can subdue an out of control person or defend yourself with strikes. MMA might be the best form of self defense because of the different scenarios it can deal with.
- Krav maga – Krav maga is one the most effective martial arts. Its main focus is self defense which covers multiple attackers, knife defense, and gun defense. If you live in a high crime area or just feel the need to be ready for anything then krav maga might be for you.
Which martial art is the most effective and best to learn? Well look up some videos and see which one you might like best. If it’s for self defense, any of the striking arts listed will do well. Unless you know how to fight standing up or plan on learning both then I would leave jiu jitsu by itself out of the picture if you’re talking strictly about self defense.
I didn’t list karate or taekwondo because these martial arts arent as effective as the ones that I listed. This is just my opinion. They are great fun martial arts, just not as effective as others. Good luck training.
Whey protein is a protein supplement used by athletes, body builders, and average women, or men trying to build muscle or optimize athletic performance. A lot of people are quick to have a protein shake or two throughout the day without thinking about if they really need it. Is whey protein bad for you?
Whey protein is one of the proteins found in milk along with casein. It is separated from the casein or formed as a by-product of cheese making. Is is a complete protein with all 9 essential amino acids. It is has many benefits that can also come from a real food diet. If one is to consume whey protein the suggested amount is 20-25 grams a day or less depending on your needs.
It is recommend to get your protein from a healthy diet and not protein supplementation. Too much whey protein can put strain on the liver and kidneys, increase body fat, and cause other health issues. It is important to know how much whey protein to consume if you decide to consume it. Usually one serving a day is enough which is right around the suggested daily intake.
Knowing how many grams of protein per day is important. The DRI( Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.36 grams per pound of body weight. This is 56 grams per day for the average man and 46 per day for the average women. For athletes or more active people protein consumption should be 0.5-0.7 grams per pound of body weight. If an athlete weighs 150 pound the protein intake per day should be 75-85 grams of protein per day.
So is whey protein bad for you? It can be if you consume to much. Always remember to limit your daily intake if you decide to use it and always get most if not all of your protein from a healthy protein diet. Since protein powder is processed your best bet is to get protein from fish, nuts, beef, chicken, and other real protein foods.
Jogging is known as a great way to exercise. It is also a great way to burn calories and relieve stress. Jogging has many benefits which make it worth while. Although jogging is beneficial there has been some debate on wether or not jogging too much is bad for you. The short answer is yes, jogging too much can be bad for you.
It is recommended to only jog three days per week for a total of one to two hours. The days should be spaced out throughout the week. The American College of Cardiology concluded that pushing the limit jogging every day for long periods of time can be worse for your health compared to not jogging at all. Also that heavy duty runners also have a lower life expectancy compared to those who didn’t run at all.
Sprinting is different from jogging. With that said jogging to quickly can also be bad for your health. It is best to jog at a moderate steady pace while jogging on the balls of your feet. This also insures that not too much force is being sent into your knees.
Jogging is not as bad for your knees as some people claim. It can actually be beneficial. However applying too much pressure to the ground or jogging too quickly can be a little harsh on your knees. Too much jogging can be bad for the knees. If you already have arthritis or have pain and discomfort in your knees it is always best to address these issues with a doctor before deciding to jog. Jogging on the balls of your feet at a steady moderate pace while applying minimal force to the ground will ensure your knees stay safe.
This one might sound a little scary but were talking about a lot of jogging. Too much jogging for long periods of time can cause microtears in the heart. They will heal but can cause heart problems down the road. As an average runner you shouldn’t have to worry. People at risk are the ones who compete in marathons. For example an elite runner will sometimes run around 100 miles in a week.
So with all this said just make sure that your not over doing it and you’ll be just fine.